Re: [help-a-newb] setting grub

On 19/03/11 13:29, Joel Rees wrote:
I really didn't have much problem with grub 1, just edit menu.lst .

I'm having the devil of a time trying to figure out how to set the
default boot and how to chain in grub 2 in squeeze.

I found something about using update grub and setting the default boot
in a fle in /usr/share/grub, followed by doing an update-grub, but
that doesn't change the default boot,

You can change the default in file /etc/default/grub. Edit the
GRUB_DEFAULT= line to the entry number you want (starting with 0 for the
first entry in the grub menu.

Then run update-grub.

I don't use chain loading, so am not sure how to do that. I think grub2 should automatically detect other OSen, is os-prober is installed, when update-grub is run. I'm sure someone else here can advise you.

--
Dom