Re: Debian 6 uninstallable?

I've also had problems installing Debian 6.0.0 on my 10-year-old IBM NetVista computer using the full CD-1 ISO.  When I selected “Install” or “Graphical Install” on the installer boot menu, the screen froze up and then flickered.

Further investigation confirmed that the Debian 6.0.0 ISO and my old computer are definitely not compatible:
1.  With the very same CD, I had no difficulty installing Debian 6.0.0 in VirtualBox on my newer computer.  This rules out a bad CD.
2.  I tried booting up Debian 6.0.0 on USB on the old computer.  Again, when I selected “Install” or “Graphical Install” on the installer boot menu, the screen froze up and then flickered.  This also rules out a bad CD and a bad CD drive.
3.  I had no difficulty installing Debian Lenny on the old computer.  This rules out a bad CD drive.

I've installed Debian Lenny on the old computer, which I'm using as a firewall and server.  I may be behind the times, but at least it works.  I'll have to figure out how to upgrade to Squeeze, and I'll be using the PartImage program to clone my working Debian Lenny installation so that I can quickly restore it after any unsuccessful attempts to upgrade.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>