Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:46 AM,  <teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net> wrote:

> The problem with Ubuntu is it's the half-baked answer to a question that nobody was
> asking in the first place...

Given its success, it must be fulfilling a need/demand!

> So they come up with the system of releasing LTS's about every two years, and then
> leaving them to security updates, (sound familiar anyone?)

They're just imitating RHEL (without back-porting security patches and
making a mess of the version numbering) because that's what corporate
environments have now come to expect.

> And then they will release a derivative of Debian Testing as Stable every six months,
> but being so overly concerned with release dates and sticking to the "release date"
> they release the OS buggy and half-baked, but it's not Debian Testing, no it's Stable,
> cuz we say it is... Right?

It's not quite that simple. Non-LTS releases have some packages from
unstable. The kernel tracks upstream. And I'm not sure that they label
any of their releases "stable."

I think of Ubuntu as, more or less, Debian's Fedora...

> The fact is any N00b would be better starting off with Mint, it's stable, quick with media
> centric desktop users needs, and the user would be learning linux the RIGHT way, not
> the we're gonna change this or that from the method every linux os uses, to our own
> special way because we're Ubuntu and we know what's best for you.

?!

Until December whe the first Linux Mint Debian was released, Mint only
offered re-badged and re-looked Ubuntu with a few mint-* apps!