Re: Help with Squeeze on Acer Aspire D250

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:15 PM, david wildgoose
<david.wildgoose@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sun 30 Jan 2011 at 10:08:45 -0700, david wildgoose wrote:
>>>
>>> However I have a new problem with the installer.
>>>
>>> When it comes to installing the GRUB boot loader, it fails with the
>>> following error:
>>>
>>> "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda"
>>> Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed.
>>> This is a fatal error.
>>>
>>> I have Windows XP on a 70gig NTFS partition and would love to keep it
>>> as I need it at work :/
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/GrubRecover
>
> I'm sort of at a loss. The guide makes sense but I'm not sure how to
> go about getting to the D-I rescue menu. Any ideas?

http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/ch08s07.html.en

The wiki is unfortunately for grub1/grub-legacy and squeeze uses grub2/grub-pc.

In squeeze's rescue mode, once you choose a "device to use as a root
file system", you can choose to "execute a shell..." or to "reinstall
grub...". If you choose the former, you can use fdisk and grub-probe
to ensure that you use the correct device for grub-install. For the
latter, you can switch to vt2 and use fdisk to ensure that you use the
correct device.