Re: VM speed benchmark

On 30/01/11 20:15, T o n g wrote:
> I'm wondering if you could do the speed benchmark of
> your preferred VM, and compare the result to that of your host.

Inside a VirtualBox guest, running Debian Lenny, using a IDE based hard
disk file (in the VM profile):
 Timing buffered disk reads:   62 MB in  3.09 seconds =  20.08 MB/sec

Inside a VirtualBox guest, running Debian Lenny, using a SATA based hard
disk file (in the VM profile):
 Timing buffered disk reads:   42 MB in  3.15 seconds =  13.31 MB/sec

Inside a VirtualBox guest, running Debian Lenny, using a set of SATA
based hard disk files in a RAID6 array configuration:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   18 MB in  3.10 seconds =   5.81 MB/sec

If useful, the output from /proc/mdstat in this VM contains:
 md0 : active (auto-read-only) raid6 sdb[0] sdh[8](S) sdi[7](S)
 sdj[6](S) sdg[5] sdf[4] sde[3] sdd[2] sdc[1]
      524032 blocks level 6, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [6/6] [UUUUUU]

Outside on the VirtualBox host hardware, running Debian Lenny, using a
IDE based 1.8" hard disk (connected by ZIF):
 Timing buffered disk reads:   64 MB in  3.05 seconds =  20.96 MB/sec

All hard disk files which are used in my VirtualBox configuration are
full-sized hard disk files, not the ones which "grow" with usage.

If you need to know my hardware these tests where run on a Dell D430.

--

elbbit