Re: module kvm-intel causing virtualbox problems

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:38:12 -0500
Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 30 January 2011 18:15:56 briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > I get an error message when I run virtual box and the inter-tubes
> > led me to the answer of removing the kvm-intel module.
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out how it got loaded in the first place so I
> > can keep it from being loaded, but I can't seem to track it down.
> >
> > Can some kind soul help me out.
>
>   My intertubes told me that kvm is a virtualization module
> associated with qemu -- it may be that if you have the right sort
> of CPU, your kernel thoughtfully loaded it up for you, anticipating
> that you'd want the functionality.

So I ran dpkg --list to see what qemu packages were installed and got
rid of something which looked promising:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  qemu-kvm*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 4,411 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 173975 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing qemu-kvm ...
Module kvm_intel not loaded ... failed!
Purging configuration files for qemu-kvm ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...

That looks promising.

I have no need for qemu, or at least I don't think I do, so just to be
sure I uninstalled everything having to do with qemu.

Virtual box still runs just fine, so there doesn't appear to be any interdependencies.

Thanks.

Brian