Re: Help with Squeeze on Acer Aspire D250

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 29 Jan 2011 at 21:50:59 -0700, david wildgoose wrote:
>
>> Below is how I'm setting up the USB install stick:
>>
>> Downloaded the following files
>> http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/20110106/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/squeeze_di_rc2/i386/iso-cd/debian-squeeze-di-rc2-i386-netinst.iso
>>
>> Extracted boot.img.gz using the following command: gzip -dc
>> boot.img.gz > /dev/disk1
>>
>> Copied the iso image to the USB stick.
>>
>> Any ideas why the installer is freezing?
>
> I did something similar only yesterday except using
>
>   zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdX
>
> zcat is equivalent to gzip -d and the image must be written to the disk
> not to a partition (e.g. sda1 or sda2) on the disk.
>
> So I've no concrete idea why the installer is freezing but do have a
> suggestion. The netinst.iso is now a hybrid iso
>
> http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/Debian_USB_install_from_hybrid_iso/
>
> and
>
> http://blog.einval.com/2011/01/07
>
> You could try
>
>   cat debian-squeeze-di-rc2-i386-netinst.iso > /dev/sdX
>

> --

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I ended up using Unetbootin to create the USB installer stick and that worked.

However I have a new problem with the installer.

When it comes to installing the GRUB boot loader, it fails with the
following error:

"Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda"
Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed.
This is a fatal error.

I have Windows XP on a 70gig NTFS partition and would love to keep it
as I need it at work :/

Any ideas? Thanks so much!

--
David Wildgoose