Re: Why are my emails not making it to the list?

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:40:15 +0000, elbbit wrote:

> On 26/01/11 22:01, Andrei Popescu wrote:

>>> I believe it's a Gmail feature the inbound copy of the message is
>>> discarded because it already has a copy in the sent folder.
>>
>> Yes, I've been working around that "feature" by receiving all list mail
>> to a different account.
>>
> Many thanks to all who replied.  I appreciate you taking the time.
>
> It is moderately annoying as I use my Gmail account with POP3, set to
> download and remove all messages from the server.  I am also using the
> Gmail SMTP server, and it appears that mail sent goes to the webmail's
> Sent folder - and there is no option in the Gmail interface to disable
> Google saving a copy when I deliver mail via SMTP.

Yes, and it is one of those documented "features" of Gmail:

***
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=82454#Bounce

Finally, if you're sending mail to a mailing list that you subscribe to,
those messages will only appear in 'Sent Mail.' This behavior also occurs
when sending to an email address that automatically forwards mail back to
your Gmail address. To test forwarding addresses or mailing lists, use a
different email address to send your message.
***

Another bypass to jump this "feature" and still keep using your Gmail
address in the reply-to field could be using a different "smtp" gateway
service for sending e-mails instead using Gmail's one. Some e-mail
servers will allow to relay the e-mail if you provide the right
credentials for authentication.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón