Re: Squeeze volatile?

on 14:11 Thu 27 Jan, Andrew Reid (reidac@bellatlantic.net) wrote:

>   Hi all --
>
>   I'm finally getting around to migrating some systems to squeeze, and
> I noticed that as of now there is no "squeeze-volatile" repository,
> although "squeeze-backports" exists.
>
>   Does anyone know if there are plans for such a thing?  Lenny-volatile
> was what allowed me to keep using the "clam" AV scanner without it
> going obsolete, so this is potentially important to me.

The purpose of volatile is to allow updates to packages in stable Debian
releases, specifically for things such as virus scanners and spam
filters which have data components (mostly) which update frequently,
*and* to ensure that changes which do affect release stability aren't
introduced.

testing/unstable aren't stable, this distinction isn't necessary.  You
should find that your AV and spam-filter packages update frequently if
you're tracking testing/unstable.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist