Re: Linux disk partition encryption

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:02:52 -0500, Celejar wrote:

>> My this question seems to have confused most people. What I wanted to
>> know is how would the partition appears to normal Joe. Now my
>> understanding is the following. are they correct?
>>
>> The encrypted partition will appear as unformatted -- with no files
>> system on it, if you just simply want to do 'mount /dev/sdx' (just like
>> how Linux partitions normally appear to Windows). Even if one read its
>> physical sections, they will appear as "random" numbers. Oh, wait,
>> cryptsetup, has a pretty standard header, so an expert can at least
>> tell that the partition is encrypted with cryptsetup, but whether he
>> can decipher or not is a different story.
>>
>> Is about correct?
>
> Pretty much, although I'm no expert.

Well, I just found out -- actually not. A normal Joe can definitely tell
that an USB disk is encrypted even he has no knowledge of disk encryption
at all -- the helpful desktop will tell (prompt) him upon the USB being
plugged in. :-)

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/