Re: Missing files in home-directory

Dne, 23. 01. 2011 17:25:34 je Tshepang Lekhonkhobe napisal(a):
Ummm... he deleted them?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 18:22, Matthias Andersson
<matthias.andersson@pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My dad called me yesterday regarding a problem on his machine running > Debian Lenny. He said he had installed the updates sometime last week > and noticed that all of his files (.pdf, music and photos) went missing
> from his home-directory. I had him burn debian livecd and check the
> drives with gparted and that did not result in any errors.
>
> What could be the problem?

That, or:
1. he might have inadvertently moved them to some odd location (on my kids' accounts, I frequently find mp3 files moved, say, from the Desktop to the Gnome task bar, or to Trash.) With a file manager, and with some help from a jerky mouse or a jerky hand, you can move files to the strangest of places. 2. the partition currently mounted under the /home mount point is some other "home" (from another Linux install or whatever). May happen after ghosting partitions and ending with two partitions having the identical UUID. 3. oddly configured file manager configured not to show certain file types, or to show them in white text on white background or something like that.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.