Re: Netgear WG111 USB wifi adapter works with squeeze / gnome

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:04:23 -0500
Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 03:23:49PM EST, Celejar wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:10:07 -0800
> > Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I recently had to add wifi to my squeeze / gnome desktop.  Based on some
> > > reviews I bought a Netgear WG111 USB wifi adapter, and I found that when I
> > > plugged it into a USB port on my desktop it worked instantly -- no
> > > configuration or package installation necessary.
> > >
> > > Is there a repository where these sorts of success stories are tracked?
> >
> > A bit late, but FTR:
> >
> > http://linux-wless.passys.nl/>
> >
> > A great resource.
>
> A bit puzzled about the disclaimer, though:
>
> ‘This list doesn't specify anything about how much of your card is
> supported. So a card that only works without encryption is listed the
> same as one that also has support for WEP/WPA.’
>
> Not sure I want to donate my bandwidth to any TDH that might sniff my
> available presence the minute I cruise along in their neighborhood...

But the very next line reads:

"For the specifics about how much of your card is supported, please
refer to the driver page listed for your card."

IIUC, the driver docs will generally tell you what has been
implemented.

Celejar