Re: transition from Ubuntu -> Debian to avoid Unity Desktop?

On Mon January 17 2011 10:09:27 Paul Johnson wrote:
> 1. Is Debian defaulting to the Unity Desktop too?  (please say no)

I don't think so.

> 2. How can I make a transition to Debian from Ubuntu?  So I need to
> change my apt repositories and then do what else?  If glibc or the
> kernel headers are new, I'll have to recompile everything I've built,
> but that's OK.

Make sure you have a complete backup before you start.  On RAID1
systems we also degrade the array and do the conversion on one
mirror so that we can quickly switch back if the conversion fails.

Usually we uninstall the desktop, apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade,
and then install the Debian desktop.

It is totally unsupported and may break everything but every time we've
converted a system from Ubuntu to Debian in this way it has worked fine.

> 3. If I make this change Ubuntu -> Debian, will I end up back in
> "Nvidia Hell" where the OS updates frequently break the
> commercial/proprietary video drivers?  I understand that nouveau is
> providing reasonable 2D for Nvidia cards, but my job requires the 3D
> support that seems available only from the commercial driver.

Non-free nVidia works great in Debian, both Lenny and Squeeze,
both regular kernel module and DKMS (recommended).

--Mike Bird