Re: Squeeze. How to set video res to 1366x768 in pure console?

Dne, 09. 01. 2011 14:22:27 je Sven Joachim napisal(a):
On 2011-01-09 14:02 +0100, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 2011-01-09 12:50 +0100, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>>
>>> Subj.
>>> Googling points me to 915_resolution, which is about Intel video. My >>> video is NVIDIA. Please, help to set up native laptop's resolution for
>>> console.
>>
>> Try uvesafb (you need to install v86d for that to work), e.g. like this:
>>
>> # modprobe uvesafb mode_option=1366x768-32

Have you tried this yet?

>> If that does not work you have to ditch the proprietary driver and
>> switch to nouveau for a nice console.
>
> Please correct me, if I am wrong but nvidia/nouveau drivers are for
> X.org.

Nouveau is split into two parts, a kernel module (nouveau.ko) and an X
video driver (nouveau_drv.so). The kernel module includes a framebuffer
driver that automatically uses the laptop's native resolution, see
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting.

> The question is how to set up native laptop's 1366x768 in pure
> console, without X, or for example, if i switch with Ctrl+Alt+F1,...6
> keys.

Well, the nouveau framebuffer driver is the best for that, but it is not
compatible with the NVidia 3D blob.  That's why I suggested uvesafb.

Sven

If I understand the original question correctly, you're looking for the vga= kernel option (to be added to your kernel line in grub.cfg or menu.lst).

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.