Re: Sun Java upgrade to 1.6.0_23 ?

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 01:04:40 -0800, Kenward Vaughan wrote:

> I'm working with Jmol (www.jmol.org) under Debian Sid for a course I'm
> teaching in a few weeks, but am running into a standing issue with the
> current build of Sun Java found in Sid (RMB menus don't work properly).
>
> 1.6.0_23 is available on Sun's site, but I don't believe the upgrade is
> simple from what I've read.  Is there a way to do this directly w/o
> waiting for the next packaging round?

Last time I installed (you don't "update" java but "install" a new
release) Java JRE from Oracle's site was a straight forward step. After
that, you can run "update-alternatives" to select the default java to be
used.

If in doubt, try first installing within a VM and see how it goes...

Or you can wait until it is available in Sid :-?

> I'm drawn to that build, as it apparently works with Jmol as reported by
> someone else in the Jmol group.

BTW, I can run this sample just fine (using JRE 6 update 22):

http://jmol.sourceforge.net/demo/atoms/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón