Re: Radeon 8500, kdetv, and xawtv broken - no video overlay device

> You can try with another programs to view the TV, like Videolan, Me-TV
> or even Kaffeine :-?

I don't know how to make anything else talk to the Xvideo overlay
device.  The only mentions I've found were things NOT using it, or only
using a /dev/video0 type device.  Kaffeine, vlc, and me-tv don't seem to
have an obvious way to access anything other than the /dev/video0 system.

Xawtv (which is teeny and can't resize), kdetv (which can't show the
actual video) and avview (which doesn't even run anymore) are the only
things I've seen that will use the Xvideo overlay instead of requiring a
/dev/video0 device.  That's why, if getting /dev/video0 for a Radeon8500
were feasible, I'd like to leave this whole weird overlay device thing
behind, like everyone else seems to have...

> > Can I get a /dev/video0 for a Radeon 8500's input?  Xorg obviously
> > isn't going to bother to keep it working, and it would be really
> > nice to be able to use a better program than xawtv.
> Maybe you card does not allow that... what tv tuner chipset has?

Actually I'm trying to get the basic a/v-in to work (mainly the svideo
and rca audio inputs), not the tuner.  I've kind of given up on the
tuner...  It looks like the card includes such things as : FI123xx
(FI1236W) Tuner, TDA9885 Alignment-free IF-PLL, MSP34xx (MSP3445G,
MSP3430), and Rage Theatre revision 00000003, if any of that helps.

--
Robert