Re: Reading files from a diskette from an old MacOS.

PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> How reliable is this capability?
>
> Should I try to identify the filesystem as hfs vs. hfs+ before
> trying to mount it?

I have no information.

> Will "mount -t hfs" damage hfs+ and conversely?
> Thanks for any tips,              ... Peter E.

Hint 1: Add "-o ro" to the options list to mount it read-only.  Then
there shouldn't be any danger of modifying the disk.

  mount -o ro /dev/fd0 /mnt

Hint 2: Make a bit copy of the disk to a file and then mount the
file.  Again, this should completely avoid any write to the floppy and
therefore be safe working with the data.

  dd of=/dev/fd0 of=fd.image.raw bs=8k

  ...remove the floppy from the drive...put in safe place...

  mount -o loop,ro $PWD/fd.image.raw /mnt

I am not sure what the optimal blocksize would be for the dd command
for reading the old floppy.

Bob