Re: Can Debian Backup ntfs File System?

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 06:50:38PM +0100, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 05. 01. 2011 15:28:47 je Lisi napisal(a):
>> On Wednesday 05 January 2011 12:03:59 Camaleón wrote:
>> > At least you should have learned one lesson: _never trust_ what your
>> > users say and tell them to _prove_ their wording with facts (that
>> is, by
>> > checking with her that the data was properly backed up and can be
>> > restored from the aforementioned "unexistent" copy) >;-)
>>
>> I did look at the pen drive to make sure that the copies were there
>> and
>> retrievable.  But I didn't know enough about her data to know that the
>> most
>> recent 'photos were missing.  It is not certain that they could have
>> been
>> rescued at that point even if I had known!
>>
>> If it weren't for the fact that she is going around telling very
>> hurtful
>> untruths about me, I would be the gainer.  She was hard work,
>> demanding and
>> not very profitable!
>>
>> But sometimes they _know_ that they haven't got copies, but are
>> unwilling to
>> have them.  It means buying something to put them on.....
>>
>> Lisi
>
> Seems I'm one of the few who sincerely think that not all users should,
> or even could, be required to know the inner workings of each and every
> technology they use. In real life, people are forced (by their job or
> whatever) to use many modern technologies, and in our technology-based
> development model, this trend is bound to increase. Should every driver
> necessarily know ALL the fluid circuits of a vehicle, and their
> check/refill intervals? I honestly don't -- do you? Of course I know the
<snip>

But you carry a spare tire, right?  And if you have an unreliable car,
maybe you should have a bicycle on-hand in case you really need to get
to work one day and your car won't start.  I equate that to having a backup of
your data.

The problem I've seen several times, though, is when an
application hides your data away somewhere.  Itunes, for instance.  My
brother-in-law has no idea where is music is, other than "it's in
Itunes".  That makes backing it up pretty difficult for the novice.

-Rob