Re: sleeping the system vs hibernate or suspend

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 15:11:38 -0500, Toan Pham wrote:

>> Twice? Why? I thought it should be at least the same size :-)
>>
>> I think nowadays you can even hibernate with no swap partition at all
>> but using a swap file.
>
> The state of a running system is not just RAM.  It is what is in the
> current swapped filesystem + ram content + video ram.

Where did you read about that? :-?

Also, when hibernating, ram data is (or can be, not sure if all
distributions enable this feature) compressed and not all of its content
is in use... so just imagine a system with 12/16 GiB of ram, whould they
have to dedicate a 24/32 GiB of /swap disk space for hibernating?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón