Re: sleeping the system vs hibernate or suspend

In <[🔎] 20110102111840.3f39f13e@bamboo.deldotd.com>, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>Someone posted (to this list) a simple command line for sleeping the
>system.
>
>Sleeping, to me, is separate from hibernate or suspend which tries and
>save the state of the machine to disk or ram.  This was simply setting
>the machine to low power state.

If you are talking about a low-power ACPI state, then you are indeed talking
about suspending the system or hibernating the system.  Specifically, ACPI S3
: Suspend to RAM : "Sleep Mode" :: ACPI S4 : Suspend to Disk : "Hibernate".
The kernel has support for entering C3 (and I think S1) automatically.  I
don't know how a Linux-based system can go into S2.

If you just want to turn off the monitor, search for DPMS.