Re: Radeon 8500, kdetv, and xawtv broken - no video overlay device

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 23:25:01 -0500, Robert Braddock wrote:

> I have a Radeon 8500 video card which I use as video-in for my computer
> to act as my tv monitor.  Sometime since the Summer, this has stopped
> working and I am having no luck finding any helpful information by
> searching.  Most searches just refer to the old GATOS project, which
> hasn't done anything for years, but supposedly has been rolled into
> xorg's drivers.

(...)

> Now, it seems as though my overlay device just isn't there.  Kdetv says
> there's no video device at all and xawtv reports "no usable video port
> found".

(...)

If the card used to work and now suddenly stopped creating the "/dev/
video0" device, I would look into "dmesg" log, maybe there is any hint on
why the video device is not being created (missing module, kernel change,
firmware needed, conflicting drivers, radeon driver changes...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón