Re: making a pdf file smaller the debian way....

>> Suggestions welcome.
>>
>> Michael Fothergill
>>
> Just in the last day or two, someone wrote to the list (probably this one)
> that there are a couple of repos you can get to from Debian that hold
> proprietary software, and probably Adobe Acrobat.  Either scan for
> that info, or maybe someone will chime in with the proper directions.
> (I'm using Acrobat in another distro.  It works fine.)
>
> --doug

I have the debian non free mulltimedia link set up in my apt sources file.
I did

apt-get update && apt-get install acroread mozilla-acroread (another
google search recommendation)

and successfully installed Acrobat 9 but when I tried it although it
read the pdf file in fine the google search tip of using the file
reduction option in the document menu option didn't seem to appear.
All I got were a sign and security pair of sub menu options under the
document section of the task bar or whatever its called that didn't
give me any other options when I mouse clicked on them.

So I gave up with Acrobat and used the ghostscript command gs
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen
-dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf  which
worked really well and made a smaller pdf file for me.

Regards

Michael Fothergill