Re: HP Proliant ML110 G6 installation

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:32:49 -0300, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> On Monday 15 November 2010 09:35:30 Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:03:14 +0100, Adrian Chapela wrote:
>> > I am trying to install Debian on a Proliant ML110 G6 with Debian
>> > 5.0.6. The installer isn't detecting my sata disk, is this normal ?
>> > Debian hasn't the drivers of the smart array controller ?
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant
>>
>> Look for "HW RAID B110i" row.
>>
>> I guess you'll have to install manufacturer's firmware in order to get
>> "fake" RAID detected... but think it twice before choosing this option
>>
>> >:-)
>>
>> I would go with AHCI (if available in BIOS) for SATA controller and
>> then if you need RAID facilities, setup with standard linux raid (md)
>> or buy a real hardware raid controller.
>
> I think that the Smart Array Controller IS a hardware RAID controller.

Careful with that. Not all smart array are "real hardware raid":

***
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13477_na/13477_na.HTML#Storage

Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller (RAID 0/1/10)
NOTE: Hardware RAID requires purchase of HP Smart Array P212 Controller.
***

Normally, hardware raid cards do not need to load any driver in order to
get the array detected because required module is included in the stock
kernel (aacraid, cciss, megaraid, 3ware, ips...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón