Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:13:00 -0600
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
> > I understood that some of the functionality
> > (subroutines/modules/whatever) did not comply with the Debian
> > philosophy, and so were removed, to make the resultant applications
> > compliant with the Debian philosophy.
>
> It was a trademark issue.  And a philosophy issue.  See this previous
> discussion of it for more information.
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/10/msg00665.html
>
> Bob

Also the auto update stuff was removed.

When i first started using debian, I looked into the differences
between iceweasel and firefox.

The only disadvantage from an end-users standpoint in using iceweasel
over the firefox from upstream, is that stable releases end up with old
versions.

If this matters to you, you can always pull in XULRunner and the
browser from backports or testing or Unstable or Experimental (I pull
mine from the latter and haven’t had any problems so far).

Also. until very recently, (think a few weeks, beta 4 ish of FF4) there
was no official x86_64 ports available from mozilla!

Also, shockingly, adobe has put out a new, up-to-date, 64bit flash for
linux et al! see here [1], I just changed from using the 32bit one
under nsplugins and it seems faster/more stable!

[1] http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User	PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97