Re: Unicode Character key-in problem

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:58:22 +0530, Thomas Vazhappilly wrote:

> I am a migrant from MS Windoz to Gnu/Linux. Only one problem where I
> stuck is, I cannot key in some characters in UTF-8 such as "CURRENCY
> SIGN" as in typing MS Windoz. In MSW I can get the character by holding
> the alt key and type 0164 and on release the alt key, I get the
> "CURRENCY SIGN" in the editor.
>
> Is there a ditto input method in Debian Gnu/Linux system? Somebody help.

Yes, it is called "compose" :-)

If you are using GNOME, you're in luck:

Currency sign → "¤"

In GNOME, you can get it by pressing "Ctrl+Shift+u" and release the keys.
You'll get an underline "u". Then you have to type the desired characters
sequence, i.e., for currency sign type "00a4" and press "enter":

http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón