Re: Debian FS structure.

Sthu Deus:

Well, to quote the FHS (<http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html>):

| /srv contains site-specific data which is served by this system.

and

| /var contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and
| files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary
| files.

For all the things *I* put into the DocumentRoot of a web server, /srv
fits better, I think. The question is what location *packages* (dwww,
for example) should use when they need to put things there.

According to #542950, Debian maintainers don't want to enforce any
specific directory layout below /srv because the FHS doesn't contain
strong rules about that. That way they are making sure that they don't
overwrite site-specific data, managed by the local admin. That's totally
fine with me, but I I usually configure my systems to use /srv/www
exclusively. If there is anything below /var/www which I need, I put
symlinks in place.

J.
--
I cannot comprehend the idea of chemical and biological weapons.
[Agree]   [Disagree]