Re: disable sleep mode hdd usb

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:40:39 +0200, Tabano wrote:

> Tabano wrote:
>  >  I want disable the sleep mode in my external hdd usb forever when
> start Debian.
>  >
>  >
>  >
> First, thanks to everybody.
>

> Debian Sid. Updated from Squeeze.
>

> hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda1
>
> /dev/sda1:
>   setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled HDIO_DRIVE_CMD
>   failed: Invalid exchange HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid
>   exchange

Maybe the USB enclousure disallows this information to be passed to the
disk. You can attach the drive directly to a sata/ide host controller and
issue the "hdparm" command from there. Then, put the disk back into the
USB case.

> Impossible ??

May I ask why you need to get this done? What problem are you
experiencing with sleep mode? I'm just curious :-?

> In Windows, the sofware xspeed is the solution (eternally read/write in
> hdd).

Continously performing random/untargeted operations on the drive may
gratuitously short the hard disk live :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón