Re: newbie intro

On 20100814_125047, Tom Poe wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:

> >>OK.  So, for starters, I'd like to know which version to use.
> >
> >That will vary based on the role of your machine.
> >
> >- Debian lenny (current stable) is recommended for any use
> >(servers, workstations, laptops...).
> >
> >- Debian squeeze (current testing) is recommended for a bit more
> >advanced users and for newer hadware.
> >
> >Being your first Debian installtion, I would start with Lenny.
> >
> >>Lookslike I can contribute to debian if I purchase CD/DVD, right?
> >>I'm on fixed income, so would have to send money order.  Any
> >>suggestions?
> >
> >You can contribute in many ways (translating, reporting bugs,
> >helping others...), not just "by money". Anyway, you can buy a
> >CD/DVD:
> >
> >Vendors of Debian CDs
> >http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/index.en.html
> >
> >Just look for any that suits your needs (which accepts money orders).
> >
> >Of course, you can also get a free copy of Debian.
> >
> >>My wish list:  I'd like to install debian on desktop that serves as
> >>workstation/server.  The desktop has two hard drives, 80GB and 160GB.
> >>Would like to use both drives as one.  Not sure how to prepare drive
> >>settings to install with reformatting both when inserting CD/DVD.  Any
> >>suggestions appreciated (really limited computer skills, here). Tom
> >
> >Uf, you start hard :-)
> >
> >I think you will need to setup LVM, wich adds a layer of complexity
> >in the installation and management. I do not use LVM at all so
> >someone here with experience in this would serve you better.
> >
> >I'd recommend reading:
> >
> >6.3.2.4. Configuring the Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
> >http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s03.html.en#di-partition
> >
> >Greetings,
> >
> Thanks for the link.  Will definitely follow it.
> Tom

Tom,
The last time I did an install, I noticed that the netinstall CD contains
an option for setting up LVM as part to the initial install. I haven't
used it, as I don't do LVM. But it is there.

This is by no means a suggestion that you can avoid reading the
documentation prior to doing an install. Do have a look at www.debian.org
I suggest your first contribution to Debian might be reading www.debian.org
with the mind-set of a new user. What do you find puzzling or confusing.

Discover the bug tracking system. Make bug reports about what you find.
The bug tracking system has categories for documentation, wishes, etc.
There is a special category just for reports about doing the install.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net