Re: Status of RAID (md)

also sprach Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@gmx.net> [2010.08.02.1510 +0200]:
> When I tried to add sdb3 was because the disk for some reason did not
> appear with "cat /proc/mdstat" (not even like it was failed), although
> when using "mdadm --detail /dev/md2" appear as both sdd3 and sdb3 as
> removed. To what it can be due that sdb3 does not appear when doing "cat
> /proc/mdstat"?
>
> It is somewhat confusing to see a disk labeled like spare when it is
> not. Is this "normal"?
>
> If this is the case, the only thing I can think of is that after the
> first disk failure, the system was in interim recovery mode, and during
> it, the second disk would have failed.

I cannot analyse this further from remote. If you are still
experiencing problems, I'd be prepared to have a look, but I'd need
root or sudo access to the host. Contact me off-list if you want
that.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"with sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. however, this is not
 necessarily a good idea. it is hard to be sure where they are going
 to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
 overhead."
                                                           -- rfc 1925