Re: What to put on SSD

[Re-posted to the list]

Andrei Popescu:
> On Vi, 06 aug 10, 21:14:21, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>>
>> What about boot time? My laptop (Thinkpad X200) boots up in less than
>> ten senconds (boot manager to GDM).
>
> Are you using anything special besides the (now default) parallel boot?
> I'm thinking about readahead or similar stuff.

No, just the current defaults in sid. What services are started can be
seen here (vertical lines drawn each second):

http://well-adjusted.de/~jrschulz/gfx/bootchart-2010-03-26.png

Total boot time is about 30-35 seconds, depending on how fast I enter my
disk encryption + login passwords. For chart rendering, I have
temporarily disabled my encrypted /home.

I don't use any of the big desktop environments, just plain awesome (the
window manager). But that isn't included in the chart anyway.

BTW, I tried slim instead of gdm, but I found it to be a little bit on
the buggy side and IIRC it lacks a few features I like (don't remember
which).

J.
--
I feel yawning hollowness whilst talking to people at parties.
[Agree]   [Disagree]