Tiny Console Fonts

After installing linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 the console fonts are so
small I must use reading glasses to make them out.  I have experimented
with the consolechars -H 16 -d  command but this just makes the characters
brighter.

I assume the problem may be the setting of the monitor resolution.  The
monitor is 23" LCD monitor capable of 1920x1080 resolution.  Indeed, the
small font is very sharp when viewed with my reading glasses but I wish
it was twice as large so I would not have to bother with the glases.

On the other hand, the font sizes and resolution in X windows is fine as
it is.

Is there a way change the console font size without changing the X
windows resolution?

Tom