Re: Anti virus and Firewall

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 22:43 +0100, Tingez Unknown wrote:
> Firstly i am very new to Debian so please excuse me for my lack of
> understanding.

Welcome to Debian :)

> I am looking for any suggestions regarding Anti virus and firewall software
> that is suitable with your Debian 5 64bit operating system. Wanting to add as
> much security as possible to our server to reduce any problems we may
> encounter. I would like any suggestions as to the best software that can be
> used either paid for or freeware if you would be so kind.

It has already been noted in this thread that anti-virus software is not
necessarily needed as most viruses target Windows, but you might want to
take a look at software that scans for rootkits [1].

I would also encourage you to familiarise yourself with Debian by
reading the Debian reference [2] (also available as Debian package
"debian-reference-LANG") and the "Securing Debian Manual" [3].

Have Fun

    Wolodja

[1] Examples:

    chkrootkit - rootkit detector
    rkhunter - rootkit, backdoor, sniffer and exploit scanner

[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>