Re: Linux filesystems was [Re: Debian cd supporting ext4.]

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:46:29 +0200 Aniruddha
> <mailingdotlist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have done some testing with Debian stable in Virtualbox and I have
>> to say XFS works as advertised. I did power off the virtual machine
>> several times when working in Gnome / copying files. And I did power
>> off the virtual 5 times in a row when booting. Nothing happened.
>> Each time the virtual machine booted without problems.
>>
>> I have to say, file system creating and file system checking is
>> lightning fast. I am very impressed. Next I'll test XFS on my
>> laptop.
>
> Although I have no reason to believe that XFS is flawed, your test is
> not proof of that.

Agreed, it was hardly a double-blind randomized trial :) On a more
serious note: off course these tests don't prove anything. On the
other hand I have heard  so many time that XFS can't handle a single
power failure without data corruption that I wanted to see for myself
what happens if you power off a pc. with an XFS filesystem. Apparently
not much. There might other problems hidden with XFS,just like ext3 (
when copy pasting a home directory to another location I once lost the
whole directory due data corruption on ext3).