Re: Subnet

David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> dhcpd complains about lack of subnet declaration.

> 1. What would use?
> 2. Do I need it?
> 3. Do I need dhcpd (it fails to start and this effect nothing)?

man dhcpd ==> 'Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server'.

The key word here is "Server". Unless you intend your box to be serving
DHCP (i.e. answering other boxes' requests for IP addresses) then you
don't need it.

In most SOHO configurations, the xDSL router is the gizmo that runs
a DHCP server, and everything else uses a DHCP client to obtain an IP
address from that server.

Chris