Re: Restarting network

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 08:55:43AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:26:16PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Hint: In the old days interfaces were quite static on systems.  But
> > with the coming of removable and hotplug devices such as PCMCIA or USB
> > network interface cards there was a need to move to a more dynamic
> > system.
>
> Thanks for your answer. It makes sense.
>
> Having used Linux on my Desktop and since 1995 and on many servers since
> 2001 it was a bit of an embarrasment having trouble on my PC to start
> and stop the networking.  I was used to how things were done in "the
> old days"  :)

And ... Desktop support of network configuration had great improvement.

I have updated Debian Reference recently reflecting it.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_modern_network_configuration_for_desktop

Unless I want to set up network to the virtual machines, I just use
these easy tools.

Osamu