Re: advice on amd64

On 7/5/2010 5:40 PM, Jim McCloskey wrote:

I recently acquired a new Dell Studio 15 laptop and mean to install
Debian (squeeze) on it.

 The machine has a 1.6GHz
Intel Quad Core processor and 6GB of RAM. The GPU is an ATI Mobility
Radeon (HD 5470) with 1GB of onboard memory.

Do you not mean a 2.6 GHz CPU (rather than 1.6)?

I would go with amd64. 32-bit Flash also runs on amd64, and flashplayer-mozilla from Debian-multimedia (rather than flashplugin-nonfree) installs everything you need. And though it seems to imply that it exists for iceweasel/firefox (or possibly epiphany) it works well with Chrome, too.