Re: Debian support on newer 4K Advanced format drives (rather than 512 bytes)

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 02:31:15PM +1000, CaT wrote:

> I wont be buying more of these if I can avoid it. I'd rather a 4k drive
> that says it's a 4k drive and get on with life.

Well, I wonder what the manufacturers thinking behind lieing about the
sector size is. It only leads to problems --- everyone who bought a
disk like that and partitions it as usual should just exchange it if
permance testing shows poor performance until they get one that just
works.

And how do RAID controllers handle such disks? They present the disks
transparently to the OS, and if they can't figure out that a 4k
alignment is required, you can only return the disks when the
performance is poor ...

This problem has greatly contributed to my decision to buy one or two
more 500GB disks (same model as the others I have) and to convert the
RAID-1 to a RAID-5, rather than buying two 2TB disks to set up another
RAID-1. It's also a lot cheaper: Two more disks will triple the
capacity for less than half the price of one 2TB disk, and they are
somewhat likely to be faster.