Re: AM3 socket Asus M4A87TD EVO motherboard work flawlessly in Debian?

On 07/03/2010 01:27 PM, Greg Madden wrote:
On Saturday 03 July 2010 02:36:48 Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/02/2010 07:52 PM, Greg Madden wrote:
On Friday 02 July 2010 08:45:41 H.S. wrote:
I am thinking of getting this one. It appears to be a new one from Asus
and I am wondering if Linux supports it in all ways (networking, sound,
etc.). It is an AMD Socket AM3 motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO.

Anybody with this mobo can confirm there are no problems with Debian?
For example, someone has mentioned that he can't get audio to work
properly in this.

Thanks.

The gigabit ethernet might be an issue., not sure about that board ,
earlier versions had the RealTek 8111/8168. Not supported in Lenny, or
Squeeze. Installed with a pci nic, compiled the driver from source from
RealTeks site.

An RTL8111C works fine on my Sid system running 2.6.32-3, so why
wouldn't it work in Squeeze?

--
Seek truth from facts.

It may work but I wouldn't assume that it does, from my experience.

My board is the ASUS M4A77TD, lspci says the nic is:
  RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)

booting Squeeze, 2.6.32-5, dmesg says:
r8169 0000:02:00.0: firmware: requesting rtl8168-2.fw
~eth0: unable to apply firmware patch. Lenny gives no such warning.

I get that exact same firmware message, but 2.6.32-3 still works perfectly.

What I understand from my research for this nic , the various revisions to
this family of nic's require different drivers. In Lenny/Squeeze the r6169
modules gets loaded and did not work.

For Lenny I downloaded the source from Realtek's site and compile a r8168
module, it works. I had to blacklist the r8169 driver .

I haven't pursued ,yet, doing this in Squeeze. I loaded Squeeze using a pci
nic.

Here is a list of the cards the Realtek driver, from the enclosed link,
supports:
RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168
RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)
RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E

http://tinyurl.com/2w43ckb

Next task: what card(s) does the Linux r8169 driver support ?

The Debian kernel r8169 driver definitely works on my RTL8111C.

It's the audio and USB3 which I'd be concerned about.

--
Seek truth from facts.