Debian Lenny + Grub2 + kernel message log capturing

Hello,

I was hoping to get some feedback or tips on how to setup a PCI serial card (not onboard) for kernel message log capturing. I am using Debian Lenny x64 with the grub2 bootloader.

This might sound like an easy question, but does the Linux kernel module have to be compiled with the running kernel in order to log messages at boot time? I mean obviously the driver is required to be loaded in Debian GNU/Linux when the serial/com device is used in conjunction with /dev/ttyD[01].

I have found a website providing patches for the chip on the PCI serial card I am using at:
http://izto.org/mcs9865/

Does Debian not include drivers for serial cards in any packages or would these drivers be considered non-free?

Thanks.

-M

Videos that have everyone talking! Now also in HD! MSN.ca Video.