Re: eth0 or eth1

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:05:34 -0500, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> However, "ifconfig -a" does not redefine hardware interfaces and
> is not a system administration task.

Strictly speaking, that is true.  However, this "user" was
about to redefine his hardware interfaces; and issuing "ifconfig -a"
was one step in the overall process.  The overall process *is* a
system administration task.

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:05:34 -0500, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Asking a user to become root
> to run this command is not a good advice.

If you feel strongly about this, then I suggest that you
file a bug report against the net-tools package and complain
that ifconfig should be moved from /sbin to /bin (or some other
directory in a normal user's path).  As you know,
"ifconfig -a", issued verbatim by a normal user on a plain vanilla
Debian system, does not work unless the user has modified
his PATH variable.

As for me, I will continue to give advice based on what works
on a plain vanilla Debian system unless otherwise noted.
And you of course are free to disagree with me.  Peace, my friend.