Re: Grub on XFS root filesystem

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:40:09 -0500, Ken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On one of my machines that I'm trying to upgrade to Lenny has a XFS
> root-boot file system.
>
> The upgrade docs state that I need to switch from lilo to grub for a Lenny
> upgrade. But I cannot get grub to install on this XFS boot file system, it
> just hangs up.
>
> Anyone know how to get this done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

That is not true.  It is true that the Lenny installer installs the
grub bootloader by default (it's called grub by Lenny, but grub-legacy
by Squeeze.  Most folks call it grub1.  What Squeeze calls grub is
a totally different bootloader that most folks call grub2.)  However,
if you're upgrading from Etch to Lenny using the release notes, you do
not have to upgrade your boot loader.  My advice would be, "If it ain't
broke, don't fix it."  I'm still running lilo under Squeeze due to
problems that I have with grub2.

By the way, even if you're installing Lenny from scratch, the installer
still gives you the option to install lilo instead of grub if you
want to.  (At least it does if you run it in expert mode.)
grub1 is a dead end anyway.  If lilo is working fine, and you're
happy with it, I would advise you to leave it alone.
That's my two cents worth.