Re: Sound through HDMI with ATI Radeon HD 4550

On 27/01/10 13:41, David BERCOT wrote:
Hello,

I'm not sure I'm at the right place (please, if not, tell me where I can
find a solution...) but I have a problem with multimedia hardware.
So, I've changed my graphic card and I've bought an ATI Radeon HD 4550.
In the ALSA supported card list is not yours:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-ATI
My goal is to use only an HDMI cable between my computer and my AV
amplifier. I've installed Debian Sid but I can't have any sound...
Everything seems OK with Alsa (and PulseAudio), but no sound !!!

A saw that your card is audio enabled:

HDMI output support

   * Supports all display resolutions up to 1920x1080^2
   * Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 KHz stereo
     or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less
     audio solution^4

As read on:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4550/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4550-specifications.aspx
With google, I've found this :
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzgxMA
[I should need a 2.6.33 kernel to have HDMI support with ATI cards]
So, I've compiled the 2.6.33RC5 kernel, but no difference !!!

The card seems to be OK :
# aplay -l
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Try another sound output device and verify alsa-mixer ouput and digital output source in volumen control on your desktop (gnome-sound-properties).

Look at this:

http://antiflash.org/notes/computers/linux,_radeon_4350_and_hdmi/

Also consult ATI Wiki (Many card and some comment about HDMI Sound):

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#HDMI_with_sound

Or try to tweak it with this:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=28199&start=0&hilit=ati+hdmi
Do you have any idea ?

Thank you.

David.

   "You don't know where your shadow will fall",
        Somebody.-
 Ing. Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta<olafrv@gmail.com>
 Personal Web Page -- http://olafrv.com -- info@olafrv.com