KDE auto-login not working after kernel upgrade (2.6.30-2 -> 2.6.32)

A strange problem is occuring: After a kernel upgrade from 2.6.30-2 to
2.6.32 on an updated debian testing system, the user auto-login feature
of KDE stopped working - instead I am presented with the kdm login
screen. If I reboot with the old kernel, kde auto-logins the user fine.
The problem is reproduced: Booting with the new kernel always gives me
the kdm login screen. Booting with the old one, it works.

Any ideas how could I investigate something like this?

thanks and a happy new year!
G.