[Fwd: Re: Getting connected to Verizon 3G network] UPDATE

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Getting connected to Verizon 3G network
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:21:29 -0500
From: Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> <linuxtwo@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> put forth on 12/30/2009 7:50 PM:

 169.254.213.81 every time I get it connected.

A little IPv4 network education is in order:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3927

Your interface is auto self configuring a link local address because it is
unable to contact a DHCP server.  Please read the RFC to better understand the
process.

Your next step is to troubleshoot why your interface isn't able to contact a
DHCP server.

UPDATE.

I replaced dhcpcd, because I was getting the 169.254 address range again. Installed dhcp3 and now I am getting an IP in the correct address range 192.168.1.4. Wicd says I am connected while the MiFi
does not.

Kernel IP routing table
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 ath0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ath0

I can connect to 192.168.1.4 which turns out to be my /var/www/index.html. My default apache2 server. Pinging the
192.168.1.1, which was the MiFi, back when I had it working, times out.

If I try to connect eth0 with wicd the system freezes and I have to power down.

This is getting to be a real pain..  As I have seen more success stories
with wireless connections on Ubuntu I am tempted to try it out. I see a lot of the old timers from this list are now on Ubuntu as well. I wondered why? Maybe because of things like this....

------------------------------ End Update ---------------------

Thanks for the link Stan.  After reading that I went back and checked
all of the packages I had installed/ Purged/removed in my efforts to get
this working.  I found that I had to reinstall dhcp3* which had been
removed when I tried different network managers.

In addition I removed all of the IPv6 address in /etc/hosts. just in case.

I no longer get an IP address, the MiFi fails to give me one.  It, wicd,
no longer crashes the system when I get that default IP address.  So now
I can concentrate on what is bothering the MiFi about giving me an IP.

Thanks much again.  You helped narrow the possibilities, and that't
helps a lot.

Best Regards

Wayne

Oh, and Happy New Year to you and yours.