Having Grub2 use UUID instead of (hd0,1)?

Is it possible to tell Grub2 to use the UUID of the partition
/boot/grub resides instead of its default (hd0,1) notation?  The reason
I ask is that I am using a custom kernel that treats all drives as sda,
but Debian's Grub2 pukes on it.  Specifically, installing and updating
Grub results in "/dev/sda" in /boot/grub.cfg and then boot fails as
grub evidently sees it as an IDE drive, which it is.  It seems as
though if Grub could use UUI internally as the kernel does, this issue
would be resolved.  So far my Googler has come up empty.

- Nate >>