Re: Major problems 2.6.26 kernel in lenny

Hello,

On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 08:12 +0000, Virgo Pärna wrote:
> When I upgraded my Debian computer form Etch to Lenny, I had to give up
> running 2.6.26  kernel for following reasons (computer has AMD Sempron 3000+
> CPU).
>  [..]

>     Now, with 686 kernel, I can no longer boot up - it just stops, when
> checking disks - it shows, that it sucessfully checked /boot partition, that
> has ext3 filesystem, but that's all.

Did you try to start in runlevel 1 (i.e "recovery mode")?
What happens when you "fsck" your partition?
Your problem might be the next script (in /etc/rcS.d/).

I doubt it would change anything, but did you try -486 kernel?

> Other partitions have jfs filesystem.
> Amd64 kernel boots up fine, but it still cannot unmount smbmounted shares
> as user.

Well, as a workaround, you could write a perl script to run with sudo.

Regarding your bugs:

-> not supported by developers, because the client OS isn't
   supported anymore.

-> You could ask the maintainers if they need more information on this
   bug. You could describe the other scenario that you have tested:
   Which other kernel you tried? Do you have the problem with other
   client computer (running a recent version of windows)? What does
   "mount | grep /mnt" shows?

Hope this helps,

Franklin