X server won't start after upgrade to squeeze

Greetings;

I upgraded Lenny to the latest and greates and everything appeared to work as usual. Then I upgraded to Squeeze and everything went south.

1 - The x-server & Gnome don't auto start any more.
2 - startx -- :0 doesn't work.

I have tried several suggestions in a similar previous topic to no avail. I have renamed my xorg.conf and all that has happened is that in addition to driver "ati" not being found I also have "vesa" and "fbdev" not found.

I have installed fglrx-driver from squeeze/non-free but that makes no difference either.

Any hints, tips, or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Many TIA!
Dennis