Re^2: /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Squeeze

Johan & others,

Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:18:29 +0200
> From my /usr/share/doc/xorg/changelog.gz:

Thanks.  Here /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg/NEWS.Debian:
  "xserver-xorg (1:7.4+1) unstable; urgency=low
    * Changes in handling of input devices
     ... devices configured in xorg.conf ..."
I neglected to read the 1:7.4+2 changelog.

Would there be any harm in leaving a small
xorg.conf containing the explanation in the
changelog as a comment?  There could also
be a section or two commented to help in
cases where the automatic configuration fails.
Such template xorg.conf could always be removed
when the automatic configuration becomes
somewhat reliable.

In any case, this system now has /etc/X11/xorg.conf
containing these four lines.
  Section "Device"
     Identifier "Builtin Default i810 Screen 0"
     Driver "intel"
  EndSection
X now starts without complaining about the driver
for the i810.

Thanks,         ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop"