Re: OT question about sound cards/chip-sets and high-end music systems

On 20091016_083137, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 08:51:52PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > So far the responses that I have gotten comfirm without a doubt that
> > what I was told by the sales person in Best Buy is not at all the
> > whole story. There is *a lot* more to the solution than just buying an
> > adapter cable. Mention of Burr Brown 24bit ladder DACs brought back memories
> > of technical problems that simply have no solution via software alone.
> >
> It's definitely not the whole story, but it's a good starting point.
> The cables are pretty cheap (less than $20 in the US) and it'll get
> you started.  It would probably be beneficial for you to put together a
> cheap test system to see how you like it, before you spend big bucks on
> better hardware.  It'll also give you time to experiment with different
> music players on your computer to see which you like best.

IMHO, I already have better hardware, but its a fair distance away
from where I have my computers. To do the test, I would have to buy a
rather long adapter cable (>~100ft). The cable would be carrying
analog signal. Analog signals degrade on long cable runs, particularly
the high freq. part of the signal.

I think the test would only show me something that I already know.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net