Re: OT question about sound cards/chip-sets and high-end music systems

On 20091015_144147, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> I have a couple of questions for you before I delve into details of my
> recommendaion.
>
> What kind of hi-fi are we talking about? Do you have a dedicated
> listening space or is this for casual listening when doing other
> things, i.e., are we talking JVC or Pass Labs?
>
> How important is it that the software/hardware be GPL free? Would you
> consider using something Debian based if it offered you truly hi-fi
> results?

Equipment:
Adcom GTP-450 Tuner
Adcom GCD-700 CDcarousel/player
Adcom GFA-5000 dual audio amp
Vandersteen Model 2 woofer/mid/tweeter combo (2 ea)

I want to listen to classical music in the family room after my twin
8yr old grand-daughters have gone to bed. So dedicated listening but
not dedicated space. No interest in whole-house sound system. No
interest in 'quality' head-phones.

I have been out of touch with the high-end audio world since I bought
this system. I had never heard of Pass Labs until you mentioned them
in your email. Wikipedia puts them in the class where Adcom was when I
bought. I don't want to re-join the craziness of puriest hi-fi audio,
but I do want to investigate upgrading the way that the digital music
that I have now on CDs is stored.

I think it ought to be possible to copy data that is now on CD onto
modern hard-disk and play it with quality that is no worse than I have
now. I accept the inferiority of CD to true purist hi-fi. (CD is good
enough for me, but I can't abide earphones.)

I believe in free speach, free beer, and caveat emptor. If you have an
idea that involves Debian, please discuss it here. I may not be able
to use it myself, but it might be helpful to someone else.

So far the responses that I have gotten comfirm without a doubt that
what I was told by the sales person in Best Buy is not at all the
whole story. There is *a lot* more to the solution than just buying an
adapter cable. Mention of Burr Brown 24bit ladder DACs brought back memories
of technical problems that simply have no solution via software alone.

Even if this information doesn't fit with your expectations, please make
your recommendation.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net